Friday, December 28, 2007


I hope everyone reading this had a wonderful Christmas. (Or, if you don't celebrate that particular holiday, I hope you had some good time off from work, and did something fun.)

The court date went really well. Of course it was just the last formality, and not much that could really go wrong by that point, but we were nervous, nevertheless. However, our anxiety was unfounded. Everyone in the court was so happy and cheery and everyone was going goo-goo over Baby Boy. Then we were called into the judges chambers, where we were sworn in, and asked a series of questions, such as, "Is it your intention to provide for physically, emotionally, and spiritually for this child?" Yes, it is. "Do you understand that once the adoption is finalized, this child will be as if he were your natural-born child under the law?" Yes. "Is this what you want?" Yes! (I am seriously paraphrasing by the way, I'm sure I'm not getting the wording exactly right, but you get the gist.) Of course Mister and I were holding back some tears at one point during the proceedings. We are so happy to be at the point where we are fully recognized as his parents, once and for all. Even though we have been his mommy and daddy in our hearts from day one, it is a nice feeling to be legally mom and dad, instead of "temporary legal guardian." After we were all done, the judge posed for a few quick photos with us, and then they gave BB a teddy bear. So nice.

The rest of the week was a bit hectic. I had to go to the Flower Market to pick something up for a client on Friday morning. I had to bring BB since we are still sans childcare, as the nanny is no longer available due to debilitating morning sickness from her pregnancy (sigh) and we have been having a hard time finding a day care situation that is accepting infants. Anyway, first to the flower market, and then to the OB for an urgent appointment to figure out what some strange bleeding I was having was all about. (Apparently nothing--caused by the Clo.mid thinning out my lining from my last period, causing it to oxidize and come out, well, really dark.) But, nothing like getting the vag checked when you have no one to watch your baby. By the time I got done with those 'errands' BB was so far off his schedule that he was going ballistic. The rest of the day was a bit rough with a very cranky baby. He's also getting molars, and was then, and is, still, dealing with a bad cold. So, to be nice, my husband brought home some leftover steak sandwich from his lunch and heated up for me, and poured me a glass of wine as soon as he got home from work. UNFORTUNATELY that lovely steak sandwich gave me THE WORST case of food poisoning. Meaning, I woke up in the middle of the night and had it coming out both ends for the next 8-9 hours. Needless to say, I was totally out of it all day Saturday. We were supposed to go to Mister's parents house in the country on Saturday, but I couldn't move. I still felt nauseous, I felt like I had been severely kicked in the kidneys, and I was getting the chills on and off all day. So, we went out to Lodi (where Mister's parents live) on Sunday morning instead, but had to leave bright and frickin' early, because we had to be there by 10:00 a.m. to meet the family at church so we could stand up as god parents for Mister's niece (13 months) whom Mister's sister (who was visiting for Christmas) was having baptised at their parents' church.

From there through Christmas was a blur, as we were splitting up our time between Mister's family in Lodi and my family in San Jose. We had a lot of fun visiting with everyone, but I was very happy to get home the day after Christmas. Since then, I've been dealing with an increasingly sick and irritable baby. (Teething, cold-that-won't-die). We will be going to the Dr. tomorrow just so I can rule out anything above and beyond cold and teething issues (like an ear infection, etc.).

So, that's why I've been off the radar, but I have been checking in on you guys when I can and thinking of all my bloggie friends and wishing everyone a wonderful holiday. I hope that all our dreams will come true in 2008.


Meghan said...

Congrats!! So glad everything went well

Tracy said...

CONGRATS!!! I'm so happy for all of you. What a HUGE day that must have been for you.

Sorry about the food poisoning. That is NO fun.

It's good to have you back...