Monday, May 7, 2007


I don't know how many of you out there are 'cat people'. I've always loved cats, but I have NEVER had a cat as cool as my cat, Max. I have had him (and his sister, Molly) for 13 years. These cats have been with me through so much: one bad marriage + divorce, about 50 moves, living in my flower shop when I couldn't find a place to live that I could afford that would accept pets (it was the Dot-Com boom, people, and this was in Marin County), and so many other things. Not only have they dutifully put up with all my ups and downs over the last 13 years--they have been a never ending source of love, acceptance and affection. And, they're just awesome cats! Max will come when you call him (I think he thinks he's a dog). And he speaks. He's just got such a great "personality". Ok, I'll stop. You get the picture. I love this damned cat.

On Tuesday, after being cooped up in the house for 2 days in a row with baby boy, I asked Mister if we could go out to dinner at one of our fine local chain restaurants. Max, who was sleeping peacefully on the couch, was scooped up and tossed outside. Well, I totally regret that moment in time. I wish we would have stayed home. Because, when we got back, we found out from our neighbor that something "bad" had happened to our cat. She thought he had been hit by a car. She found him in the neighbor's yard next to her. But now, no one knew where Max was. Luckily, I found him, bleeding and barely breathing in the hydrangea bushes. AGHHHH!!

We rushed him to the emergency pet hospital. No, he was not hit by a car. He was mauled by a dog. I suspect my neighbor's dog. The one who "found" him, supposedly, in another yard. Hmmm. Oh, did I mention she has a pit bull? Kay.

They were able to stabilize Max at the emergency place. The next day we picked him up and took him to our regular vet. He went through 4 hours of surgery, with two vets working on him. 2 broken ribs, broken sternum, pierced abdominal and chest cavities, bruised liver, lots of tissue and muscle damage. Apparently, the dog took a hold of him, and SHOOK.

Well, call my cat the 6-million-dollar-cat. (Almost). But they did rebuild him. It looks like he will survive. We were finally able to bring him home on Saturday. We have to keep him confined in a large crate, and keep him sedated. I am giving him meds twice a day, and syringe feeding him to make sure he is getting enough nutrients.

I think that might have been his 9th life. So, for now, he will be an indoor-only cat.

I have just been so sick and distraught over this. It's been a rough week.

Pray for Max!!

1 comment:

Tiff said...

OMG, your poor poor kitty! I hope he is doing better. I will keep happy, healthy kitty thoughts for him. (Update on him when you can)