I underestimated how much moving would take out of me, mentally, physically and emotionally. I am sorry for the long silence. There have been lots and lots of post-in-my-head moments that have never made it into 'print'. But I am still here, and all is well.
Here is a brief snippet of what's going on.
10 Things I Love About Our New Life:
1. Bigger House.
We are not all on top of each other anymore. Everyone is happier.
2. Mister loves his job.
When Mister is happy, everyone is happier.
3. Handsome Man is in school.
Clark County School District has been good to us. For the first time since we started this struggle through HM's diagnosis, etc., he is finally--FINALLY-- getting special ed services. And he is thriving. And I get a 3 1/2 hour break, 4 days a week.
4. Our new health insurance is pretty freaking awesome.
No more gigantic bills every time we visit the pediatrician. Jeysus Lordy.
I know California is sunny, but it is like seriously sunny here, even when it's cold. (and yes it does get cold!) No more SADD.
6. Renting is not so bad.
If something breaks, someone else has to fix it (and pay for it). Nuff said.
7. Everything is close.
Seriously, everything and anything I might need is close. And compared to the Bay Area, traffic is virtually non-existent. Seriously, people around here have no idea. If they have to drive like 20 minutes to get somewhere it is a big freaking deal. Me? I'm like, only 20 minutes? Sweeet!
8. Trader Joe's AND Whole Foods nearby.
Need I say more?
9. Cost of living is just basically lower, in general, which is super nice.
10. Did I mention BIGGER HOUSE??
10 Things I Am Struggling With Since Starting Our New Life:
1. I seriously miss my friends, and my familiar surroundings. I'm lonely.
2. I miss being able to drive an hour to see Mister's parents and spend time at their house. (Handsome Man seriously misses grandma and grandpa).
3. People here are weird. Not as friendly as I'm used to.*
4. The heat in the summer time is pretty extreme.
Hard to be outside for longer than 30 minute stretches with the kids during the day and we end up spending a lot of time indoors.
5. Gigantic energy bill from aforementioned summer months; running the A/C 24-7.
6. I miss green things.
Green trees, hills, grass.....and flowers.
7. White walls.
This house has white walls. Not only is it boring but they show every smudge, smear, dirty little hand print. I have invested heavily in the Magic Eraser. We are renting so don't want to deal with painting, at least not right now. Maybe if we end up being here long term....?
8. Dealing with the stress of leaving behind our house in the Bay Area.
Not that we are the only ones going through something similar, but it sucks. And we are not out of the woods yet.
9. I feel pretty isolated.
...ergo, I spend waaay too much time on Face.book. Ugh. Stupid.
10. Did I mention how much I miss my friends?
*Mister is meeting a lot of really cool people from his work, and so we have had the opportunity to socialize a bit. It will just take time for me to make new friends. It will happen eventually, but it just doesn't happen overnight.